Monday, June 8, 2009

Alright, let's try this again.

Ok, so after the first post I lost track of this. Since I have almost nothing else to do this summer, I'm going to try to do a semi-decent job of keeping this updated. Like I said before, I have no idea what it'll turn into, but as a kinda wise man at work said this morning (paraphrasing Confucious), "Every great journey begins with a single step." I guess this is that first step.

Bullet points:

1. Work is becoming interesting for me, one meeting at time. I've discovered that if there was such a thing as a professional listener, I would sign up immediately. My favorite part of being at work is the meetings, because it gives me the opportunity to hear what's going on in someone elses world. I get to hear what excites them about their job, what frustrates them, and how I might be able to help them "do what they do better" (quotes because that's a Steelcase slogan). I'm learning that office dynamics are incredibly complex, and each person approaches each problem from a slightly different position. Sometimes it leads to incredible innovation and breakthroughs, other times it just makes for intriguing conversation.

2. My devotional life sucks as of late. My prayer life as well, but it's not stagnant to the same extent. This is mostly because of my lack of discipline and energy, and partly because I've got lot of things I'm thinking about all the time. I won't go into it all here and now, but what I will say is that it's often a struggle for me to justify my scientifically oriented mind with my faith and the Bible. Doubt is a large, and in my opinion, very important part of Christianity, but it is frustrating to an extent that I never thought it would be. I need to make a list of books to read, and one of the top few is going to be "Faith & Doubt." We read passages during my analog circuit design class last semester, and it proved helpful even in small 10 minute segments.

3. I'm working on finding some other constructive things to do with myself this summer, and my first order of business (I think... I haven't pulled the trigger yet) is to buy an Arduino chip and some basic circuit components and see if I can't make something interesting. It's essentially a piece of hardware that allows you to program a chip through software that can interact with inputs, outputs, and all kinds of little add-on gadgets. It sounds incredibly nerdy, and it is, but the possible applications are quite stunning in their simplicity and usefulness. For example, a device you can stick into the dirt in a flower pot that will Tweet when it needs to be watered.

That's about it for now... hopefully I can keep this up.

1 comment:

  1. I realized how excited I was when I saw I had comments on my blog, so Here goes.
    I'm glad you are writing. Now people can either make fun of us or admire us together. Somehow I think it will be the former rather than the latter. Good talking to you tonight, and I wish you the best in your nerd conquest of that thingamajig.

    ReplyDelete