Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I was serious about this.

Hump day update.

I'm getting dangerously close to finishing my book. It's been interesting enough thus far to make me wish there was more. It's not often that I read a book and actually realize fairly important things about myself and what I want to do with my life. Don't misunderstand, I still have no idea on any of the specifics, but I'm starting to get pointed in the right direction at least.

The biggest thing I've learned is that I seriously need to stop wasting so much time. It's gotten out of control the last couple years (read: since my parents stopped making all my plans for me). I've got a few different things I want to work on throughout this summer, and I figure the best way to make sure I do that is to make a list:

1. I want to learn to cook an entire meal from scratch and have it taste as good as it would if my Mom was cooking. Luckily my mom isn't exactly Martha Stewart, so it's at least feasible, but she does set the bar pretty high. I tried steaks the other day and the results were mediocre at best. Next up is shake and bake chicken, and then I'll have to reevaluate what I want to specialize in.

2. I need to exercise more. This will consist almost entirely of biking, but I can't start that until after this week, as my bike is being borrowed for my Church's bike trip. I got a tire replaced a couple weeks ago, and it should be in tip-top shape, ready for me to pedal the heck out of it.

3. I ordered an Arduino today along with some other small components so I can see whether it's the kind of thing I could to prove out some Senior Design ideas. We'll see how that works, but at this point I just want to stay in touch with my technical side that isn't getting quite as much of a workout lately at Steelcase.

4. As I mentioned in the last blog post as well, I need to work on my devotions and my spiritual life in general. That starts with having a strong desire to do so, and lately I haven't had that. It's going to be accompanied by no small amount of dragging feet and probably some kicking and screaming. It's important enough that it needs to be done though, and I'm hoping I can stick with it. I'd gladly welcome anyone that's trying to do this as well to join me and be a sort of accountability partner. I've never had that, and I think it'd help a lot. We could work out the details later, it'd be fun.

So yeah, those are my four "goals" for the summer. At some point I may think of something else I'd like to try, but this seems like it could keep me busy for a large portion of most evenings after work.

My current plan (not to be confused with a commitment, as this is much weaker than that) is to make Wednesdays the day I provide updates on these goals. That's where it becomes handy that no one actually reads this, because I won't feel like I'm letting anyone down if I fall short on one or more of the items.

Now I'm off to do some hottubbing. Hottubbing > Blogging, 100% of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment