Monday, June 22, 2009

Inspiration

I missed my Sunday evening blogging session last night, so I'm making up for it now while I watch some CSI. Not a whole lot has happened since last Wednesday, so I guess one extra day of material is probably a good thing.

For the past couple of years or so, I've been taking some time every once in a while to watch a few of the videos at TED.com. Most of them are fantastic. Without fail, I learn something, and I always end up wanting to get out and do something ambitous right away. Unfortunately I usually watch them at 11:30 at night before I go to bed, so that doesn't happen and I wake up almost as lazy as when I went to sleep. My hope is that one day I'll have watched so many of them I actually do something meaningful.

I watched a couple last night on varied topics. One was about how biology and engineering are interconnected, and used the example of gecko feet/tails. Biology found the amazing ability of the gecko to climb walls, which engineers replicated in a lab, and then noticed that it didn't work without a tail, and so they suggested that the biologists study the geckos' tails. The results were some pretty monumental discoveries and some incredible video footage.

There have also been several good presentations by Steelcase division presidents in the past week that have provided a little extra inspiration as well. It's always great to see someone who truly loves what they do and loves to share it with others. Not every company president is willing to take a few hours in the afternoon to talk to interns about what they do, where they're from, and take questions.

Suffice it to say, I'm spending a lot of my time these days thinking about what I want to do with my life. I've been poking around on company websites to see if they've got internships open that I might be interested in next summer for a change of pace. Places like Cisco and some others that would give me a chance to branch out a little bit as far as computer engineering goes. Who knows, but it's at least interesting to look into.

CSI is almost done, so I am as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment