Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's Wednesday Again

Another Hump Day update for your pleasure. I'm not really in a great writing mood right now, so I'll just run through the four goals I have for myself this summer and let you know how I'm doing. Sound good? Good.

1. Learning to cook. I'm getting there. I've mastered spaghetti, but that doesn't really mean all that much. I did a pretty good job with some Shake & Bake the other day, and I can make Hamburger Helper with the best of them, but I've got a long way to go before I'm a decent cook. There are a couple more steaks in the freezer that I'll try again sometime in the near future. There are more pressing matters at this point though... like mowing the lawn, and that will probably force me to make a low-creativity meal on at least one occasion where I might have time for something a little bit fancier. So yeah, not there yet, but progress is being made.

2. Getting more exercise. This is the goal I'm doing the worst at so far. I still spend most of my evenings sitting around the house, but once my bike joins me here on Colton this week I'll have that to tool around on and stay active. I've been golfing a few times lately, and that's been going pretty well. I'm learning more about my swing this year (and hopefully that will show up in the scores soon) than I have ever before in my golf career. It feels good, I'm gaining confidence in my stroke, and best of all, it's just plain fun. (Short game still needs a lot of work.)

3. I'm slowly but surely learning how to use the Arduino I bought. I can control it by programming the board, but I've got a long way to go before I can interface it with C++ software I think. It's going to take many evenings of poking aroung on Google (or Bing I suppose, haha) and just playing around with the thing before I can make it do just what I want it to do, but that's the fun part! Luckily I had an old electronics kit at home that had dozens of resistors, a bunch of capacitors and diodes, and several op-amp and logic gate chips, so that prevented me from having to go out and buy extra components.

4. Devotions. These have been going pretty well as far as going through the motions. I've begun a "New Testament in 90 Days" plan, and am currently about 20 chapters into Matthew. I'm doing a good job of forcing myself to do the reading, but that's the easy part. I'm still trying to figure out the best way for me to internalize what I'm reading have have some sort of takeaway from each night's reading. Maybe it means moving the time I'm setting aside to right when I wake up in the morning, but I'm usually groggy enough in the morning that I think it'd be just as bad. I could do it right after I get home for work, but then my brain is ususally relatively numb, and it might be hard to concentrate.

Whatever the time, there are always things I pick up while I'm reading, and that's been the case the last week as well. There have been numerous little "hmmm" or "aha" moments for me while I read, and those are the times when I start to realize how important it is.

That's about it for this Wednesday. It's been a strange week at work, but there aren't any compelling stories to tell, so I'll pass on that. I think it's time for me to go watch some Conan, read some more of Matthew, and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment