Friday, June 12, 2009

Overwhelmed (In a good way)

Work today was tough. It wasn't physically hard, but I still came home exhausted. It's strange, because I spent a large portion of my day sitting around waiting for meetings, trying to stay occupied. Given all of that, after today I'm more excited for what's to come at work than I ever have been (I think...). After one meeting I walked away thinking, "Holy crap, what in the world is going on, I'm more lost now than I was beforehand."

I was overwhelmed. I still am.

Strangely enough though, that's what excites me. I'm an intern, working on a project that hasn't really gone anywhere in the last year or so with other people working on it. This means two things: I can't really mess it up, and there's a lot of potential for me to make some progress. (Also strange, I'm watching "The Pursuit of Happyness" right now... very fitting.)

The first of those two things is key. Someday I'll need to be able to handle a situation where I could seriously mess something up by making a wrong decision. Today is not that day. I know that the worst thing that could possibly happen right now is nothing. That's a comfort.

The second is also good. Not quite as important for my personal development, but good.

Normally I'd be frustrated by this situation, but I'm going to do everything I can to grab it by the horns and make something out of it. I can't help but think that all of the fog in my head will end up clearing at some point and I'll have a little bit of clarity on what needs to be done. It all coincides with the book I've been reading on integrity, so I guess it's all coming together at once and I just need to take advantage of it all.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment