Friday, June 26, 2009

What Comes First?

My New Testament reading for tonight was I Peter 3-5. It's a good passage in general, but one verse caught my eye. That verse was I Peter 3:15:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

The verse goes a little bit further than that, but this is the part that resonated with me. The first part seems to be the easy part, at least to me. Alright, sure, Christ is Lord. Deal. The second... well... not so much. I have reasons I believe, but it would be tough for me to give a concise statement explaining my faith.

I hadn't ever really thought about it before, but I think that's because I've got it backwards. You don't set Christ apart as Lord because you have a fantastic answer for anyone that asks why you believe what you do; you don't get faith from fancy, well-constructed verbiage. The answer to the question "Why do you believe what you believe?" comes directly from the fact that you've done what is actually the hard part: you've given yourself to Christ.

This is not to say that we should follow blindly. There's a difference between faith and being a lemming. You may not be able to completely explain your faith, but there should be some well thought out reasoning behind it. I think that's crucial mostly because it's what helps you through doubt. At some point I'll try to dive a little further into doubt and what my doubts are, but when I start to doubt, I always have to take the time to remind myself of the foundational reasons I believe.

This has been good for me. Hopefully it's allowed you to be a little introspective as well. Now that it's 1am, I should probably get some sleep. I've got a long weekend ahead (taking Monday off) and it's full of golf, Sea-dooing, probably some discing, and maybe some biking (I didn't get out today like I wanted to, ugh. I just gotta freaking do that).

No comments:

Post a Comment