Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wednesday Progress Report

This past week has been great. Just a quick overview and then on to the numbered list.

First of all, Tyler was in town this weekend, which was awesome. Staying in contact with people when they're out of town isn't exactly easy, and while I think I've stayed up on the important stuff, it was great to catch up again in person. Facebook and an occasional phone call usually doesn't cut it. This is especially true for my friends that are out of town at any given time, but the same goes for my friends in town. I always wish I had more time to spend with them. (Whether that's reciprocated or not, I don't know... maybe I'm being avoided on purpose!) It's tough now, and it'll only get tougher as people start to graduate and people start to head out into the real world. Gotta make the most of it now I suppose.

I spent some time golfing this past weekend and I'm realizing that most of the problems with my game are in my head. I have a hard time concentrating, so that's something I need to practice specifically. I think if I can put in the effort to be able to focus, I'll improve by leaps and bounds. (It's not hard to improve by leaps and bounds after a 53 at Indian Trails.) My driving remains incosistent and my irons only slightly less so. My short game is fundamentally flawed, and will take a lot of work to sort out.

The List:

1. I haven't had much time to cook anything in the past week, but what I have made has been fairly decent. I can't say I've "made progress" but I've at least practiced a little bit.

2. There was more exercise for me in the last week than at any other point during the summer to this point. I'm quite pleased with how much I did, actually. Besides Seadooing, tubing, and skiing on two different occasions and walking 9 holes of golf (alright, putting that under exercise is a teensy stretch, but it's good for you right?), I went for my first bike ride of the summer on Saturday as well. It was only 6.5 miles, the loop around Reeds Lake, but it was a good start. I've got some new handlebar tape coming in the mail, hopefully today, so maybe the bright royal blue accents will entice me to take more rides.

3. I haven't touched my Arduino in the past week, but I've had quite a bit of time at work to poke around into some languages and platforms that I haven't been exposed to before. I took a look at Ruby yesterday, and just barely tried Python today. It's a little frustrating, because I don't understand all of the back-end stuff that's going on, so it's tough for me to get my PC set up to the point where I can actually use some code. Setting up SDKs and using web servers aren't exactly in my repertoire at this point, so my experience is pretty limited. The extent of my learning for any given language is usually using and assigning variables, manipulating strings, and possibly a little bit of i/o.

Sometime during the rest of this week I want to download and install Adobe Flex Builder on my personal laptop so I can try that out. It's a platform designed for creating rich web applications that can be implemented easily, so that would be interesting.

4. I missed a few days of devotions over the weekend, but started back up by reading Titus last night. It's a strange little book, in the sense that it's just a quick letter, but it makes some pretty good points. Paul gives a description of what an elder must be in the Church, and it applies to Christians in general as well:

7Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

That's pretty convicting for me. I don't fit that description most of the time, if ever, and it's frustrating. I need to be more proactive about being honest with myself and finding places where I fall short and deliberately putting effort in to fix them. I may or may not post about that kind of thing in the future, but we'll see.

So to wrap up, it's been a good week, and tonight I start house/dog sitting for my Aunt and Uncle, so that should be a pretty good time. Only one more day of work before the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment