Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wednesday Progress Report

Not much time for discussion; I'm just going to run through the numbers quickly.

1. I cooked quite a lot this past week actually. I did some grilling, which turned out above average for me. Burgers and brats are fantastic, and my next order of business is to learn to do them with some interesting twists. I need to take a stroll down the spices aisle at Meijer sometime and poke around. I also made another steak yesterday. This one was slightly undercooked, but still an improvement over my first two attempts. Next time I buy meat I'm going to bump it up a notch... once I figure out what the notch above sizzler steaks is. Pasta is still by far the easiest thing for me to make, but I need to learn how to make it taste like Pasta-Roni while from scratch. Lots of goals, but I'm improving, and that's the whole point, right?

2. Lots of movement for me in the last week as well. I was dogsitting Wednesday through Sunday, so I had some time to play around with the dog and stay active. I also hit up Maple Hill's driving range, along with a full round of golf at the Rec Center. I played a couple rounds of disc golf to round out my low impact leisure activities for the week. More importantly for my health, I went on bike rides Sunday and today totaling about 16 miles. Not an incredibly large number, but I can definitely feel it in my legs. Gotta keep trying to do that as often as I can.

3. My technology goals have taken a turn from embedded software (sortof) to pure software. I'm playing around with a platform called Adobe Flex, which allows easy creation of Flash-like applications. I've been spending some time on that at work because a) there's not really much else for me to do right now and b) it might be useful there eventually. I'm also working on a pet project to try to parse HTML (specifically a large table) into custom XML, and then hopefully figure out how to load that into a database of some sort. I started on this today, and I've already made some pretty significant progress. It's more complicated than I would have imagined, but nothing my rudimentary C++ skills can't handle.

4. Devos have been good. I'm still chugging away towards my goal of reading the New Testament. I've missed a couple of days recently, so there's definitely room for improvement on that side of things. There's also room for me to work on internalizing everything. I don't always pay as much attention to what I'm reading as I should because I'm just trying to get it done. There's something to be said for taking the time to do the reading, but if I'm not actually taking it in, it doesn't mean much.

I'm realizing that this format is getting a bit bland, and it's probably not all that interesting to most people, so I'm hopefully going to try to shake things up a bit here pretty soon. I'll try to come up with some sort of weekly feature that might be a bit more appealing than my list of "check out what I did this past week" for you readers (all 2 or so of you).

No comments:

Post a Comment