Thursday, April 15, 2010

Psychology

During class yesterday, a panel of my peers was asked "If you hadn't gone into engineering, what would you have studied?" I've actually pondered that question quite a bit since high school, and although I haven't seriously considered ditching engineering and taking up something else, it's still fun to think about.

My first couple answers dodge the purpose of the question. Honestly, my first option outside of engineering was computer science (something I will probably be getting a degree in anyway). Beyond that maybe I would have spent my last four years pursuing a degree in mathematics, but the proofs are a little over my head and my brain isn't built for making connections and leaps of logic in that way. All of those "different" options are actually pretty similar, except with the thought processes applied to different areas.

I may have already given it away (I know I could just change the title, but I'd rather not), but my other ideal educational pursuit would be psychology. I don't think I'd have a very easy time being a psychologist, so I probably wouldn't have a great professional career, but the subject matter intrigues me to a point that I could see myself studying it on my own, or perhaps even going back to school eventually to learn more. My biggest motivation for that would be to learn a little bit more about myself, although it would be nice to get the inside track on what others are thinking all the time as well.

Every couple days I find myself daydreaming about psychological matters, often related to my level of motivation in one area or the next. Why is it so much easier to decide that I'm going to put all my effort into this homework assignment right up until I need to actually do it? How is it that I go to Church in the morning and learn something profound, only to disregard it later that week, or even that same day? More importantly, how can I change that behavior?

Regardless of whether I pursue a degree or even an independent study in psychology at some point, it seems to me that just spending the time to be introspective about psychological matters is important for my development as a human being. I may not know the jargon or methodology behind my personal observations, but just making the observations provides insight into how I work on a very fundamental level. It's also important for me to remember that just because I observe a behavior or a trend in myself doesn't mean that others function or behave the same way.

I'll stop, because I'm beginning to ramble. Questions, comments, concerns?

1 comment: