Monday, August 9, 2010

Topics and a Wedding.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
-- Philippians 4:8

Writers block isn't something I've normally run into; there's usually something on my mind that I think is worth jotting down a few words about. Lately, though, I've tried to be a little more selective and consider which thoughts are worth preserving. Most of the time, I "reject" a topic because I just don't have enough to say about it to flesh it out into something worth reading. Every once in a while, I'll get the urge to make a long bulleted list of short thoughts, but it doesn't happen all that often.

Where I'm running into trouble now is just a shortage of topics in general. The list of individual things on my mind is pretty short. I've got work, grad school, Michigan football, whatever the last sermon I heard was about, and music. That's about it. Other things come and go, but never command my attention for long enough to demand transcription from thought to written word.

I have had the opportunity to write a few things lately, though. Scribing long emails is something I greatly enjoy (if you'd ever like one, just ask), and I've written several in the past couple of weeks. I like covering a lot of topics in a short period of time, and trying to make them as fun to read as possible, often with mixed results. I also was asked to write an evaluation letter for a professor. Depending on the professor, that could be a good thing or a bad thing, but in this case it was fantastic. She was one of the best I had during my time at Calvin, and it was fun to go back over in my mind all of the ways that she helped me. It was an English professor, so I had to be very careful that I didn't slather her in compliments while making simple mistakes. (I did notice one blatant error in subject-verb agreement. In my defense, I had it right and Word decided to correct me. I was in a hurry and didn't look it over well enough to catch it before sending the letter. It will haunt me for years, I'm sure.)

(Side note: I'm either stalling at this point--typing until I stumble upon something worth writing about--or I'm teetering on the edge of a ramble. Let's hope it's the former, because the latter would be a waste of everyone's time.)

One thing I can write a little bit about is an experience from this past weekend. I had the honor and privilege of being a part of a close friend's wedding. I've known Chris since we were in early elementary school, maybe longer, and I can't express how awesome it was to see him and his fiancee of five years enter into married life. I couldn't help but think throughout the ceremony and reception how perfect they are for each other, and how incredibly unprepared I would be for that type of commitment at this point.

Chris has never been the kind of guy to get nervous or worked up about anything, and his wedding day was no different. The groomsmen gave him the requisite ribbing about how he "could still get out of it if he wanted" and "Canada is only a few hours away!" He just gently smiled. When asked by the pastor if he was nervous at around 15 minutes before the ceremony, he answered, "Not at all," without a hint that he might be bending the truth even a little bit. Clearly he's done a bit of growing up since the summer during high school when we became movie gluttons and took in 80 or so over the course of a few months.

I said this at the reception, but it bears repeating: I look up to Chris. I pray for only the best for him and his new bride. I hope someday I stumble across a love like the one they've found.

I've got a lot of maturing to do before I'm ready to be in that situation, though. That's a topic for another time.

1 comment:

  1. Simple mistakes...like misspelling "compliment" perhaps? Enjoyable as always.

    ReplyDelete