Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gettin' Started!

Alright, so I've been in Ann Arbor since Saturday, and it's been really slow with a few interesting moments thus far. Since I'm stealing (with permission) some internet from friends in an apartment across our creek until ours gets installed, which won't happen for two more weeks (dumb.), I'm going to just throw together a quick-hits bulleted list to get the details down.
  • Ann Arbor is awesome. Our apartment is pretty sweet as well. Out of the way enough that I don't have to go through any ridiculous traffic to get to it, but close enough that I can bike anywhere on campus in a reasonable amount of time. It should take me about ten minutes to get to classes on my bike, but I'd really be booking it.
  • Getting my MCard was a bigger hassle than I expected. The process was straightforward, but since I ordered it online and it was pre-printed, I had to go all the way to central campus to pick it up. Once I got there it was all ready for me though, so that was nice.
  • I won't have campus network access until next week Tuesday. I guess that's not a huge deal since I don't have classes until then anyway, but it would have been nice to be able to go hang out on campus and have internet access there.
  • Peter finally arrived, which is great. I was planning on him getting here Saturday, but since he's engaged now he had a bunch of wedding planning stuff to work out and didn't arrive until last night.
  • Since he wasn't here and I didn't have a car, I lived off of Wendy's and brownies for three days. That was awful. We went to Wal Mart last night and now I'm stocked up. Feels nice to have food in the house. I've already eaten a bunch of healthy things like grapes and whole wheat sandwiches and pizza.
  • I met with my advisor today. His dad taught at Calvin, so he was familiar with my engineering background, and he was very friendly and helpful. I was a little nervous about getting some jerk, but it worked out great.
  • My advisor said my three semester plan looked "very well planned out" (Hey thanks, I did it while I was in Wendy's yesterday!) and as long as I get into the classes I was wait listed for, I should be right on track.
  • He also thought that the reasoning behind which classes I'm taking was solid, so that was a huge relief. Now I just need to dominate them and get out with a good GPA and I should be all set to join the real world!
That's about it. Once I have more consistent internet access and some stories to tell I'll check back in.

Also, GO BLUE! BEAT UCONN!

1 comment:

  1. So dude, I clicked on your link at mgo, and I honestly don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. This is fantastic. I will definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete