Saturday, December 4, 2010

Focus.

Sometimes (though not very often) I wish I had decided to go to to med school. There is no way I would have survived, and I know for a fact that I would be a horrible doctor, but I do wish I understood the human body a little bit better.

One thing that I find fascinating is the link between our body and our mind, and how overpowering that connection can be. Stress leads to muscle tension, nervousness leads to nausea, excitement leads to jitters. It can be hard to wrap my head around the fact that those relationships are based completely on chemical reactions.

As we get older, it gets more and more important to know and understand how we are affected by these types of things and how to deal with them, along with being able to recognize the physical symptoms and determine that maybe some of it is just in our heads.

The reason I was thinking about this in the first place is my inability to sleep when I have a lot on my plate. Granted, I am nowhere near the busiest person around, but I am busier than usual with a few high-priority projects that need to be finished up in the next week and a half or so. The physical manifestation of this, for me anyway, is a bit of head pressure and an inability to focus on just one task. Unfortunately, this compounds the problem as I am unable to do anything well without a complete focus on it.

My usual solution, and one that I would highly recommend, is to take a few moments to acknowledge that I am getting overwhelmed. A two minute pity party to calm myself down, and another few minutes to decide exactly what it is that I need to laser-focus on first is almost always all it takes to get myself back on track.

The great part (or a little sad I suppose) about grad school is that I have very little outside homework to worry about. Hopefully my strategy works just as well when I have real, grown-up responsibilities as well.

How do you cope with being overwhelmed? I am always on the lookout for new ways to deal with my insanity, so let me know

1 comment:

  1. To Do Lists. Gotta love them. Except the fact that somehow it never is completed.

    ReplyDelete