Friday, January 7, 2011

Still here.

It has been a while since I took the time to write an update of where things are for me, but I have a hard time believing my rambling has been missed. A lot has happened since a few weeks ago, but nothing too earth shattering.

One thing I spent a lot of time thinking about was my relationships with both my family and friends. I was blessed to spend a lot of time with both groups, and while there were no massive parties there were a few get togethers that afforded me the opportunity to sit down and chat with a lot of people I rarely see anymore.

Those conversations are something I find myself enjoying more and more as I get older, mainly because there is more to talk about. My friends are all working, going to school, or looking for work, and each has a new and interesting perspective on life. At the same time, my family and extended family continues to evolve and I get to hear about what they are all up to as well.

If I talked to you over break, consider this a sincere thank you for your time and insights.

I also did some reading over break; a habit I hope to continue now that I am back in Ann Arbor. Maybe at some point I will do some short book reviews on them, but no promises. It had been a while since I sat down and actually read an entire book cover to cover, and I learned a lot.

Using my extra motivation and carrying it over to Ann Arbor a little bit, I have spent a few days making a personal website. It essentially serves as an online resume, but maybe it will expand to something more than that at some point. (I want to refrain from getting too attached to it since I have no idea how long Michigan will keep the free web hosting available after I graduate next year, but it has been fun regardless.)

You can find it at: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pnbloem/index.html

As I have told everyone so far, if you take a look and have any suggestions at all, please let me know. I like the general look and feel, but I want to keep updating it continually. Your input is appreciated.

Finally, I am ramping up my efforts to find some summer work. My cousin Michael was kind enough to pass around my resume to some of the folks he knows out in California, which illustrated to me in very short order the truth in the statement "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Within two days, I have received responses from folks working at Google, Microsoft, and Apple, along with some information about possible internship opportunities at NASA. Granted, there have been no interviews or offers yet, but it is great to have some leads to work off of, and it can be fun to entertain the thought of spending the summer in a place like California or New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment