Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Now Do It

After a short hiatus, the time now seems to be right for a renewed commitment to writing on a regular basis. At this moment it is impossible to tell whether anything will come of said commitment, but I seem to have a significant block of time most mornings before heading to work that should lend itself quite well to some reflections.

Tomorrow evening, I will be joining Michael's Bible study group for the first time as they wrap up a series on discipleship. The text comes from Matthew 7, and includes many iconic passages relating to how we as Christians should approach salvation and evangelism. Sections include: "Judging Others," "Ask, Seek, Knock," "The Narrow and Wide Gates," "True and False Prophets," "True and False Disciples," and "The Wise and Foolish Builders."

Most people who have spent any time in the Word would probably be able to give a fairly detailed account of the contents of most of those sections. The problem for me is that having grown up with them, I have a hard time gleaning new insights from the words.

Making a point to find new insights helps a bit, though, and then the challenge becomes, "now do it." Unfortunately that is the hard part. Come to think of it, not only is it hard, but it happens to be humanly impossible.

Imagine for a moment how much different the world would be if it was easy. The rules and guidelines laid out in this passage are almost universally accepted as life's best practices.
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
  • Don't judge others.
  • Allow your actions to speak for your beliefs.
I want to put those into practice. I try to put those into practice. I just fail. Miserably. Constantly. Mostly because I still attempt them on my own.

I look forward to getting some other perspectives on this chapter tomorrow night, and I will report back if there is something worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment