Saturday, September 3, 2011

Diabetes

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -- Jeremiah 29:11
Sometimes, scratch that, every time we make plans, big or small, we forget that our plans are actually pretty meaningless. We think we know our plans, but rarely if ever do they align perfectly with God's.

Personal example: I was in the process if working up some pretty awesome blog posts (which may or may not get written now... it's hard for me to go back and work up an idea again) about my summer, my adventures, the incredible relationships I formed and strengthened and renewed, and what I think might possibly come next. I probably would have had a post or two about running all over the west coast with my brother Timm. I might have even included in those posts how I downed as many glasses of water, hit up as many drinking fountains as possible, looked for every excuse I could find to go to the bathroom, and still somehow ended up with a constantly dry mouth.

Wait. What?

Admittedly, that last one would have been a pretty boring blog post, but it was something to write home about. When your mom is a nurse and you're seeing those symptoms, the natural instinct is to have her set up an appointment to get it checked out, so I did. One urine test and some quick blood-work later, I'm sitting at home with a bunch of (the best) friends shooting up insulin in the dining room.

I have diabetes.
  • Yes, it's strange to write that. 
  • No, I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. 
  • Yes, it's a hassle to inject myself four times a day (for now... doctor's appointment Friday should have me being a lot more precise with my dosages). 
  • No, it doesn't really hurt. The needles are very small.
  • Yes, I have the most incredible group of family and friends a human being could ask for.
I need to expand a bit on that last point. 

I can't express how incredibly loving and helpful my parents have been already. My mom's deep knowledge of what my situation entails is invaluable. My dad's text saying, "Hey, I'm just getting out of a meeting downtown, can I meet you at the hospital while you wait to get into the lab?" calmed me instantly. (He didn't quite make it. Blodgett is actually pretty quick at getting people in for blood-work.) My siblings have taken the news with grace and have been light hearted about it.

And my friends. Wow. I had a party scheduled for yesterday night at my parents house, and the thing I was most terrified about throughout the entire afternoon was having to try to work this into a conversation. Luckily when it came up, they took it in stride, and didn't shy from it throughout the night. Like I told them:
If anyone ever has a hilarious diabetes joke and doesn't say it because I'm in the room, I'll be furious.
They obliged. Jokes flew. Tracy Morgan stand-up comedy on the subject was proudly shoved in my face. And I loved every minute of it. I hope that continues.

That's really all I have to say. It's frustrating, but I've got it, so it's better to know now (found out VERY early from what I can tell, praise God!) than to find out later when there are serious complications like a foot falling off or waking up blind or my brain oozing out of my ear. (I honestly have no idea what all the possible complications are. I'll probably hit up Google a million times in the next week.) I've made up my mind to avoid self pity, do my best to take it in stride, and refrain from complaining.

Now it's time to meet some more of the guys at the Dutch House, get into a school routine, do some job searching, and find out what other plans I have that aren't quite aligning with God's.

2 comments:

  1. You should obviously talk to Big Russ about this, he'll be sure to have lots of advice. Uncle Ken is also diabetic right? But your dad isn't? Anyway, it runs in the Bloem family a bit so you've got some more great support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. been thinking and praying for you recently, kid.

    also, your diabetes related jokes are killer so far. keep em up.

    ReplyDelete