Monday, September 26, 2011

No Answers

One of the (numerous and varied) highlights of my week and a half long trip around the west coast at the end of the summer was visiting Mars Hill (the Seattle version) for Church on a Sunday morning. Everything about the service was inspiring and convicting, and I walked away refreshed.

A major reason for this was the worship team, a band called Kenosis. (A big thank-you to Olivia for passing on exactly which praise team was on duty that Sunday.) Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard a praise team as good. Check out that link for several of their songs, they're fantastic, and you get a bit of a feel for what the entire service was like.

All the songs that morning were fantastic, but one stood out to me then and continues to stand out as I continue listening to it. It's not an original song, and if you've grown up in the Church or attended for any significant period of time you've probably heard it. It goes by the name "How Deep the Father's Love For Us," and it's a pretty powerful faith anthem. (I posted it on my Facebook wall, so if you came here from there, go back and give it a listen.) Regardless of my mood or situation, there's always something in it that grabs me, and today it's the following line:
Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
This is a point lost on many, including me, these days. I think if asked most Christians that question, you might get quite a few responses of "I follow the ten commandments," or "I tithe," or "I volunteer." By the same logic, there are numerous responses to the question "Why shouldn't so-and-so gain from His reward?" There are countless people today doing magnificent things for the glory of God, and there are countless people doing atrocious and abhorrent things just to spite Him. What's interesting is that it doesn't matter one tiny bit who's claiming he or she deserves this stunning mercy and grace, the appropriate response is and always will be stunned and utter silence. It's not that our answers just aren't very good, it's that we literally cannot give an answer.

That sucks, but thankfully it's not the end of the story. The fact that we're even trying to answer to the "why" question implies we expect answers to the "who, what, when, and how" questions as well. We don't get all of those answers spelled out as clearly as we might like in this life, but we do know that Christ redeemed us when He sacrificed himself for our wrongdoings.

He's the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment