Monday, February 6, 2012

Let's Do This.

One thing I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very good at sticking to things if I don't have documentation, but if I do, things get much easier. My best example of this is my blood glucose tracking web-app, which currently contains every single measurement I've ever taken (at least four per day for the past five months...) and helps me keep track of where I've been, where I'm at, and where I want to go.

A second thing I've noticed about myself is that I'm incredibly good at making excuses. It's time for that to change at least a little bit.

So, when I heard myself making every excuse in the book for why I couldn't actually get in shape or exercise regularly, I figured a good solution would be to apply thing one. Should be interesting to see what happens. Anyway, getting to the point...

I'm setting a goal. Right now. It's lofty, it will be tough to attain, and quite frankly, I might not. So what. Let's do this.

By my birthday, August 3, I will run 10 miles. That's 10 miles at once, not cumulatively over the next 177 days. I clarify that because I know I'll find a way to cop out if I don't. I'll be tracking my progress in a spreadsheet, which should be equal parts fun and depressing.

For some perspective, the furthest I've ever run at one time is somewhere around 3 miles. From the research I've done, diabetes will be a significant obstacle. I went for a run tonight and successfully made it an impressive .9 miles before I gave up.

Hopefully more goals to come; make up some of your own and we can work toward them together.

3 comments:

  1. Over the next 177 days, I will do everything in my power to prevent you from running 10 miles...

    In all seriousness, I'm with you. I'm bad at goals and following through. The last time I set a fitness goal I lasted 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it peebs. I'll start running with you the moment I am allowed to. Until then, I'll ride on a bike next to you, hurling insults as you to motivate :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect, and you can carry all of my supplies too!

    ReplyDelete